Summer Berry Cobbler
- 1 1/2 pints blueberries
- 2 pints blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Pie Dough
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat oven to 400°. Place berries in a large bowl. Add sugar, flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into an 18-inch circle 1/8 inch thick. Fold the dough in half, and transfer to an 8 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch round gratin dish or deep-dish pie plate. Carefully press the dough into the bottom and sides of the dish, allowing the excess to hang over the edge.
- Spoon the berry mixture into the prepared dish, and fold the pastry in over the fruit. Trim away excess pastry, leaving an opening of about 3 inches in the center. Chill cobbler in the refrigerator until dough is firm, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine egg yolk and cream in a small bowl. Brush pastry with the egg wash. Place cobbler in oven. Bake until crust is golden, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Continue baking until juices start to bubble up over the crust, about 35 minutes more. Remove from oven, cool slightly, and serve.
Blueberry and Cheese Scones
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup strong cheddar shredded
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 sachet of yeast (8g)
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2. Add the butter and mix until homogenous. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, dilute the yeast in the milk. Add the eggs and sugar. Mix.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture on low speed for 2 minutes.
5. Add the blueberries and mix by hand.
6. Separate into 12 balls and place on a lightly grease pan and bake 15 to 18 minutes.
Sweet Corn and Blueberry Corn Bread
- 1 ¼ cups(300 mL) cornmeal
- 1 cup(250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked corn kernels
- ¼cup(50 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup(250 mL) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup(125 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups (300 mL) blueberries
- 2 tsp(10 mL) granulated sugar
2. In food processor or blender, puree corn with brown sugar until lumpy. Add buttermilk and eggs; puree to combine, about 5 seconds.
3. Make well in flour mixture; pour in corn mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in butter; fold in blueberries. Pour into greased 9-inch glass pie plate, smoothing top. Sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake at 375°F until deep golden and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on rack.
French Toast with Wild Blueberry Compote
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen wild blueberries
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) blueberry jam
- 1 strip lemon rind, (no white pith)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3cup (75 mL) milk
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 8 slices (2 cm thick) French bread
- 2 tbsp(25 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) icing sugar
2. In shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip each bread slice into egg mixture, turning to soak.
3. In large non-stick skillet, melt half of the butter over medium heat; fry bread, in batches, adding remaining butter as necessary and turning once, until crisp and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar to taste. Serve with blueberry compote.